Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton

Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Blessing

I'm sitting out here in back carding wool. Not exactly my favorite thing to do, especially this time of year when some folks in the fiber guild thought it would be a good idea to have the November program be washing fleeces in preparation for December's wool felting program. Washing a whole sheep fleece is great do in the hot summertime or when there is no rush about finishing and you haven't anything else to do. Winter months and the holidays do not lend themselves well to this sort of activity.  I have Christmas knitting to finish, too. I've probably washed 35-40 fleeces since I first learned to spin at the living history museum. I've had to demonstrate this delightful activity during all seasons and in all sorts of weather. I certainly have my preferences for when to process whole sheep fleeces.

 Someone in the guild was given eight or nine fleeces by a farmer who raises meat sheep and just throws the fleeces away after the spring shearing. Free fleece. Sometimes that can be a real deal. Sometimes it can be a real ordeal. These fleeces are in pretty good shape. Not too dirty. Not a huge amount of trash in the fiber. The idea was to wash as many as possible at the November meeting, then have the participants take home the washed fleeces to finish processing, including carding and dyeing, for use in the December meeting where we will make felted balls and other silly things. There were only about six of us at the meeting. The weather was mild, but we only got five fleeces washed. The washing was done outside with cold water in a baby swimming pool. Cold water is not the greatest thing even in summer if you want to remove lanolin, grease, and other ick from wool. For the most part, the fleeces would have to be washed again at home in hot water in order to remove enough greasy stuff for the dye to take. Not so bad if you do a little at a time and have nice, hot, sunny days for drying the wool. Sunny days we've mostly had. Temperatures have been mostly in the 60's and 70's, but it hasn't been hot enough for the water to evaporate quickly. And we have had some rainy days. I have done little else than mess with wet wool since November 17. I have tried all the tricks to speed things up, but nothing has helped to any great degree. I have to laugh when I read the newsletter because the editor thanked "Melissa Lehman for her expertise." I was wondering how the ladies who have little or no experience at processing fleeces were managing when I got a couple of WOOL 911 calls. I just hope I've been of help to the distraught callers, 'cause Baby, if it ain't working for me, it ain't working for nobody.

I have not been having fun. This particular fleece has tiny little gnats trapped in the fiber. At first look before washing, I thought they were grass seeds that would come out fairly easily. I shook out as much of the debris as I could before washing. After the stuff dried and I began picking out debris and carding the wool I discovered the little rascals. Their little legs are really hanging up in the fiber and they won't just shake out. I'm having to pick out every single little gnat. This is really slowing me down. Did I say I am not having fun?

Back to the topic of the title. I'm out here picking out gnats and grass and trash from this wool and carding it so that I can dye it and have colored wet wool everywhere instead of just plain ol' white wet wool. I'm not overly concerned that the dyed stuff doesn't get dry before the meeting next week. After all, we have to wet it in order to felt it. Progress is extremely slow. Ho hum. Pick and card on. And on. Suddenly I realize that the trees in back are filled with the sound of high pitched whistles, trills, and "tseeees." I look up and see small birds flitting around everywhere in the berry-laden cherry laurel trees that line a good portion of the back fence row. As I look closer, what I see takes my breath away. A huge flock of beautiful cedar waxwings are feasting on the berries. What a sight. I stopped carding and messing with wool and have just been sitting here enjoying this wonderful, sorely needed blessing. Sometimes when things don't seem all that great something happens to really lift the spirits.

Cedar waxwings in my backyard. I am blessed.

click on the link for cedar waxwing info and photos

12 comments:

  1. A beautiful view during a not so great task

    ReplyDelete
  2. as i was reading this...(and i had NO idea what was involved with the cleaning of fleece, before you can weave it) what popped into my head was a pair of monkeys...picking the bugs or gnats or whatever off each other. and that gave me an idea...maybe you can, i don't know, borrow a monkey from somewhere? hire a monkey? they're expert at that sort of thing!

    anyway, wow...sounds like a real chore, but at least the awesome looking waxwings have come to give you some distraction!! STAY blessed! =:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!!! I love the idea of hiring monkey helpers. What a good laugh! Actually, I did have some two-legged monkey helpers (son and friends) for a couple of days, but now they seem to have found other things to do.

      Delete
    2. i think the REAL monkeys would be more dependable too! you know, they just LOVE to sit and preen each other, at least that's what they do on animal planet or where ever! they live for that! and they're so smart! easily trainable!! =)

      have a great day...

      Delete
  3. I think it's really sad that some farmers see fleece as a waste product, good for crafters though if it means free fleece! What a lot of work involved though, i hadn't realised that.

    Waxwings! Wonderful birds, I love them, though ours are a different species

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, CGP, I agree. Even if they did not want to make the wool available to fiber folks, there are other uses, including even using for composting.

      Processing raw (unwashed) wool is a lot of work. It isn't so laborious if done in small amounts, but for some reason, it never seems to work out that way. All day I have wool drying on the driveway, the walkway, the trampoline, then have to put it in containers at night, then back out during the day. Wool can hold 30-40% of its own weight in water. I've tried spinning out the excess moisture in the washing machine and in mesh bags, wrapping it in towels and squeezing, putting fans on it in the garage. That excess moisture just doesn't evaporate. Summer is much better for this type of work. Thanks goodness for the appearance of the waxwings!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like an awfully lot of work, and cold, and back breaking. The WOOL911 calls were probably not relished, either. Man, you got a workout! And bugs, ick! But you persevered!

    So glad you looked up for the birds, and then enjoyed the moment. We have to take them when we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Nancy, my old back and arthritic hip haven't enjoyed this exercise very much. I did have "monkey" helpers for a couple of days, but they managed to find other things to do--short attention spans and not enough bananas, I guess.

      Ah, but the waxwings were wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Cleaning and carding that fleece is a labor of love indeed. (I liked the idea of enlisting the help of monkeys with the gnats!) Thank you for the reminder to listen and look up. There are always blessings to be had when we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still chuckling over laura's monkey suggestion. The two-legged variety deserted me, although they actually did good work while it lasted.

      The cedar waxwings are one of my very favorite birds, so having them in the yard was really a special treat.

      Delete
  6. Well, if I had a maybe hankering to try a fleece (the kids get them on the farm now and again) I have now changed my mind. I think skinning a skunk might be more fun.

    However - a thicket full of the passing flock of cedar waxwings is certainly a joy - they stay for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete