Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton

Friday, May 21, 2010

Fleece Update

Here is some of the fleece that I dyed with Kool-aid a few weeks ago.


In this photo it is waiting to be picked and carded. I have processed about half of it at this point. The color in this photo is fairly accurate. The tips were weathered and took up the dye easier, so the color is much deeper than what I wanted. However, the variation in color works out well when I get the fiber carded.






I've separated some of the locks from the fluffy mass/mess to show the staple length. The color in this photo is a little washed out. I need a photographer's assistant--I couldn't get quite enough distance with the camera and still hold the locks, but you get the idea.




These are some of the batts that I've drum carded so far. I'm still trying to decide whether to blend this fluffy stuff or leave the batts as they are. Maybe I'll do a little of both.





You can see the color variation a little better in the photo below. The colors remind me of frozen confections such as fruit sherbet or Italian ice.



It's about time to get back to picking and carding. I try to do a little each day, but I'm trying not to make a chore out of it. I want to enjoy the process of working with this colorful fluffy stuff.

13 comments:

  1. It looks so good I could eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cotton candy look. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! It does look like cotton candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! Really nice. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Gorgeous. I may have to try that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, they look great. They remind me of sherbet. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am eternally impressed by people who do wonderful things with wool..haha. Your colours are lovely Melissa. Almost sugar almondy. Great dam photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It still looks good. If your ever down this way we could trade (4)Universal tickets for 1 hour of spinning tips! I am going to shear my brothers llama soon. I need help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee, Carrie, that's an offer that's hard to refuse. And a very nice one, too. I might have to accept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Love these colors and they look good enough to snuggle with already (or eat? yea, they do look like cotton candy!) Sorry I missed this earlier, too much going on these days but I really like reading all your posts. Have fun with that project this summer...remember, enjoy the process. Smile today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to try kool-aid dyeing! Love the colors ~ so cheerful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found your blog via Eve at Sunny Side Up! I love your carding and dying process here - looks like cotton candy! Can't wait to see what you do with it! I'll visit often!

    ReplyDelete