Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton

Monday, September 1, 2008

Green Knitting

Inspired by Mary, one of my knitting and spinning friends, I decided to knit a few bags to try to minimize the number of plastic bags I use when shopping. Mary was knitting the Everlasting Bagstopper she found on Knitty, designed by Amy R. Singer (http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer07/PATTeverlasting.html), as a Christmas gift for a friend and I thought I'd do one. Our bags vary from the original pattern a little. Rather than the hemp that the pattern calls for, we are using cotton because it is easy to find. I'm doing this one in two of Sugar and Cream's colors: Soft Teal # 01009 for the base and Butter Cream Ombre #00222 for the rest of the bag. I think I will switch back to the teal for the top of the bag. I am also using only one set of needles, size 9 Addi Turbos. It seems that Mary was using 7's. Whatever she used, I really liked the way the bag was working up and wanted to make one.
I am thinking of omitting the drawstring that Amy puts in so that the bag can be stuffed into itself for stowing in a purse. I might also do a different treatment of the top--maybe a drawstring made from I-cord, maybe not. I'll just have to see how I feel when I get to that point.

This is an easy pattern and fun to knit. My knitting tends to go slowly because I am bad about putting projects down and not picking them back up for several days. This is a good project for those times when you need something to do while waiting in places like doctors' offices (which I did recently and got quite a lot done on it). I usually keep one or two simple projects going just for waiting room knitting. It really helps to pass the time. If you are a knitter and haven't checked out Knitty, I strongly recommend you give it a look.

6 comments:

  1. Hi M.
    I really like the job you are doing on that bag. I've been wanting to knit a grocery bag but haven't found the "perfect" pattern. I'll have to check out the Knitty pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really beautiful - those colours are great together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bag is so cute. I love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh love the bag! I have saved a few patterns and my plan is to knit a few shopping bags for myself. So far I haven't even bought any yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments on the bag. I really am enjoying knitting it. You should all give it a try. There are several other cool shopping bag patterns on Knitty that I'd like to try, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi new Lesser Know Skein! I love your blog and will visit and comment often.
    Your yarn is awesome!

    ReplyDelete