Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Butter

I haven't been able to get anything posted for a few days, so here's a little bit before I go do my thing at the local living history museum today. The monthly "Step Back in Time" evens focus on some aspect of 19th century farm life. Today is Dairy Day. I will be manning the butter making station all day. There will be a couple of churns for folks to try their hands at making butter the old-fashioned way, but the real hands-on part involves putting a little heavy whipping cream in a Mason jar and shaking it (with the lid on) until it forms butter. This is always a big hit for Dairy Day and I'm kept busy all day helping kids and adults make butter. People don't usually want to try it until they see me make some, then they are enthralled and want to try. The whole thing takes about five minutes. Amazing! I even have folks come back for a second or third go at it. I'll try to make pictures to post later.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Boy, does this bring back memories. I used to help my Mom and Memaw churn butter. Talk about good tasting butter.

    ReplyDelete