Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton

Friday, April 16, 2010

The Not Very Large Array

Here are a few of the hand spindles I will be taking to the workshop I'm giving at the Cullman Fiber Guild tomorrow in Cullman, Alabama. I want to give the participants an idea of the diversity of this simple spinning tool.


Back row left to right: a Turkish-style low whorl made by Sickinger, a Bosworth high whorl, a low whorl and a high whorl of unknown manufacture, a Schacht convertible that can be used as either a low or high whorl spindle; front row left to right: a mini high whorl and a CD high whorl of Lehman manufacture, a mini high whorl of unknown manufacture with a whorl made of Labradorite



My apologies for the grainy photo quality. I was experimenting with various aspects of lighting and white balance because I got too much reflection from the flash on the polished surfaces. This was the best shot--if you can call it that.

No comments:

Post a Comment