Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Happy Medium

Lest ye think that I am too wrapped up in the seeing with the heart thing, I offer these words of Ben Franklin:

If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins.

We need to seek moderation to avoid being excessively one way or the other. If you are familiar with the Myers-Briggs system of personality types, you might have figured out my personality type by now. I won't take the time to try to explain the system to you. You might take advantage of the Internet for that. The categories in the system reveal our dominant traits and preferred ways of viewing things and working through things--sort of like being right- or left-handed. I think that there is always room for a happy medium in how we interact with the people and the world around us and how we make make decisions. And, like the dominant hand analogy, the non-dominant side can be trained to be functional as well. I think Franklin's suggestion helps to bring moderation to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment