Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Trips West 2013--Petrified Forest and Painted Desert

Back again. Finally. Technology and general lethargy are keeping me from the blog. No promises this time.

On the way home from our amazing trips last year, we toured some of the Petrified Forest National Park and drove through a portion of the Painted Desert, both just off Interstate 40 near Winslow, Arizona (click on the links for more info). Here are a few photos.

Some cell phone shots from the Petrified Forest
A very long petrified tree trunk




lovely colors in the petrified wood

No. 2 Son in foreground and Daughter back in the distance examine petrified trees
Our return to the Interstate took us on a scenic drive through part of the Painted Desert. These photos just don't do it justice. Next time I'll try the panoramic setting. Or the other camera.


What a beautiful part of the country. I hope I get to go back to the Southwest soon.

6 comments:

  1. looks lovely,don't worry to much post when you feel like it ,not because you feel you should,xx Rachel and Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful desert and such amazing petrified trees

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not get a photo to do justice to the Painted Desert either!

    Will you go to Winslow and Stand on "The Corner"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, RG! I don't think I'll make it out there this year, but it is on my list for next summer.

      Delete
  4. Your pictures turned out gorgeous once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran. I did have a better camera to use, but most of those photographs are in need of uploading to my computer. I categorize the as my "bad cell phone photos."

      Delete