Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Two More Photos of the Ladies and Parting Shots

I didn't get these two photos uploaded yesterday, so I thought I'd include them in this post.


The Nina at Guntersville, AL, October 12, 2010




The Pinta at Guntersville, AL, October 12, 2010



And now the ladies leave Guntersville for Chattanooga, TN. Although they make use of wind and sail as much as possible, they are equipped with inboard motors in order to adhere to schedules and navigate rivers a bit more efficiently. They had been in Florence, AL before heading to Huntsville and Guntersville. Had I thought about it, I would have gone over to Guntersville Dam to watch them go through the locks. It would have given an opportunity for some interesting photos. I had hoped to get to Guntersville in time to watch them leave, hoping that they would get away under sail. However, I was late leaving Huntsville and was only able to watch them fade into the distance.


The Nina and the Pinta depart Guntersville, AL (October 13, 2010)



One of the ladies headed to Chattanooga, October 13, 2010

For more information, photos, and schedule visit the website for The Columbus Foundation.

4 comments:

  1. Nice shot of them sailing away. They really do look small when you see the people next to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice photos! That must have been fun to see, amazing at how small they really were...I remember seeing the Mayflower, thinking the same thing. How did those people make it? Well, now I know. Smile today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, to be aboard those ship in open waters! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I wish I'd been there to see them leave Bunnits!!! Great photos!!

    ReplyDelete