Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Handel's Messiah is one of my favorite musical compositions. I always listen to it during the Christmas and Easter seasons. I love to attend performances of it and for several years while living in Memphis, sang with the choir of Cavalry Episcopal Church with the Memphis Symphony Orchestra when they performed it as the opening of their Advent Season. Here is the text of the Christmas portion with a little art to go along with it.
Handel's Messiah George Frederic Handel (1695-1759) http://www.worshipmap.com/lyrics/messiahtext.html ________________________________________ Part I (1) Overture (2) Comfort Ye Isaiah 40:1-3 1. Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. 2. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned. . . . 3. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
(3) Every Valley Isaiah 40:4 4.Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill made low, the crooked straight, and the rough places plain. (4) And the Glory of the Lord Isaiah 40:5 5. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together:for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it. (5) Thus saith the Lord Haggai 2:6,7 6. Thus saith the Lord of Hosts; Yet once, a little while and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land; 7. And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come Malachi 3:11. The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in:Behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of Hosts. (6) But who may abide the Day of His Coming? Malachi 3:2 2. But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? For He is like a refiner's fire. (7) And He shall Purify Malachi 3:3 3. And He shall purify the sons of Levi. . . that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.
(8) Behold A Virgin Shall Conceive Isaiah 7:14 (Matthew 1:23) Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a Son, and shall call his name EMMANUEL, God with us.
(9) O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion Isaiah 40:9 9. O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion, get thee up into the high mountain; O thou that tellest good tidings to Jerusalem, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, and be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!
Isaiah 60:1 1. Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee. (10) For behold, darkness shall cover the earth Isaiah 60:2,3 2. For, behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people; but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and His glory shall be seen upon thee. 3. And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising. (11) The people that walked in darkness Isaiah 9:2 (Matthew 3:16) 2. The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: and they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
For unto Us a Child is born Isaiah 9:6 6. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. (13) Pastoral Symphony
(14) There were shepherds abiding in the field Luke 2:8 8. There were shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flocks by night. Luke 2:9
9. And lo! the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. (15) And the Angel said unto them Luke 2:10,11 10. And the angel said unto them, Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (16) And suddenly there was with the Angel Luke 2:13 13. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, (17) Glory to God Luke 2:14 14. Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. (18) Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion Zechariah 9:9,10 (Matthew 21:5)
9. Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee. He is the righteous Savior. . 10. . . And he shall speak peace unto the heathen.
(Messiah text:1998 Bruce L. Johnson Produced by Techsys, Inc.)
I enjoy art and like to look for it in the natural world. My craft interests include handspinning and most of the fiber arts, especially knitting, weaving, and working with paper. Other important things are my family and friends, my pets, nature, literature, poetry, music, history, birding, star gazing, museums...and the list goes on. In other times and places, I've been an archaeologist, taught anthropology, and worked in a living history museum, so I find all sorts of things to hold my interest and keep me entertained. I hope to share some of these things with you.